November 2017 -Our November guest speaker was Ms. Patricia Montemurri, the author of Detroit Gesu Catholic Church and School – an Arcadia regional history book released this past October. Established in 1922 near the University of Detroit (now University of Detroit – Mercy) Gesu Church is a still-active Catholic parish and is one of only four Catholic elementary schools still educating students in Detroit. Ms. Montemurri’s in-laws include the architects of this landmark Detroit church and its exquisite stained glass windows. October 2017 - In Windsor, Speakers Don Matheson and Kirk Walstedt discussed and demonstrated several replica pioneer and military weapons. They brought several examples of weapons dating back to the 18th century and invited those in attendance to handle the reproductions. September 2017 - Our inaugural guest speaker for the new season was Nick Sinacori, President of the Village of Fairview Historical Society, which he established in 2005. John Sanderson, who is a member and an authority on auto history assisted in the presentation. An established author, Mr. Sinacori has spent the last 45 years researching the history of the Fairview area of Detroit. In so doing, he has uncovered the history of the area’s horse racing and auto culture, politics and the organizational and church involvement in this important region. Nick’s dedicated research and insight into how it all worked together is sure to make for a fascinating presentation about the evolution of Detroit and its culture. We were joined by several members of the Book Club of Detroit. May 2017 – Our guest speaker, Cris Kohl, discussed shipwrecks in the Detroit River, April 2017- The guest speaker at our April meeting at the Clawson Steak House was Michael G. Smith, author of a recently-released book on Detroit architect Wirt Rowland, who designed many of Detroit’s best-known buildings including the Guardian, Penobscot, First National Bank and Buhl Buildings in Detroit’s downtown financial district. Mr. Rowland, who died in 1946, also designed the General Motors Building in New Center. A Detroit area architecture historian with a strong interest in early 20th Century building and construction, Mr. Smith’s lifelong enthusiasm for the fine arts led him to an early career as a graphic artist. More recently, his photography work has been published internationally. March 2017 - At our March meeting at the Fogolar Furlan Club in Windsor, members of the Canadian Historic Aircraft Association treated us to an excellent presentation on the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) under which thousands of men and women were trained as pilots and aircrew during the Second World War. Number 7 Elementary Flying Training School at Windsor Airport was just one of many such bases which operated across Canada. February 2017 – Our February meeting was our annual trek down to the Monroe Boat Club in Monroe, Michigan for the club’s annual Muskrat Dinner. The guest speaker was Matt Switlik, who recounted the early years of the organization known as the Loomis Battery of the First Michigan Light Artillery as they mustered in Branch County, Michigan and spent their formative years at Fort Wayne in Detroit, where they absorbed a great many Wayne and Oakland Country, and even some Canadians, into their ranks. Matt has been a member of the Algonquin Club off and on since his graduate studies at Wayne State in 1965-67. Raised in Kansas, he moved to Michigan in his college years, completing a BA at the U of D followed by an MA in history at WSU and a tour in Korea with the U.S. Army. Matt became Director of the Monroe County Historical Museum in 1969 and retired from there in 2004. Since then, he remains active in pursuit of ordnance history and restoration of surviving specimens. January 2017 – The guest speaker at our January meeting at the Fogolar Furlan Club in Windsor was local historian Evelyn McLean, who traced the 156-year history of Mackenzie Hall, one of Windsor’s oldest and most historic buildings which stands on Sandwich St. in the former Town of Sandwich. Built in 1855, the former Essex County Court House has been refurbished and is used for various public functions today.